I read the Poem Living in Numbers by Claire Lee. Although it is a more modern poem I think that it speaks to people of many different ages. Living in Numbers is a list poem about how many times she has done a certain thing. It has 2 days and the numbers change when the day changes. The first two stanzas are on Sunday, August 22, 2010. This poem starts off with the line
Number of times I've woken up after
oversleeping and sprung out of bed like a ninja: 959
I think that this is interesting because the author broke up the sentence into two lines. I wonder why she did that? In this line there is also as simile comparing the way she got out of bed to a ninja. There is alliteration in the next line "Number of broken bones: 3."The line”Number of Scars, physical: 4; emotional: 947” show
how people suffer and get through their difficulties. The author says how many Facebook friends she has, 744, and how many real friends she has, 9. I think
that this shows what modern life is like, how people may be your friend on Facebook but in real life you don’t talk
to them. The last line on August 22, is "Number of things I know: 918,394" On Monday, August 23, 2010 the first line is
Number of times I've woken up after oversleeping and sprung out of bed like a ninja: 960
The thing that I find interesting is that unlike the first line it is not broken up into two lines. The thing that I love about this poem is that the numbers in the change when the day changes. I think that it shows how a day goes on and things change. You lose friends, you get new scars, you've laughed, you've cried, and you have gotten through it. I really like this poem, I think that the simplicity of it is great and I love the way that I can come up with a new meaning for it.
I'm using this for my list poem example next year. Good find!
ReplyDelete