Chapter 12 – Bonzo
1. Bonzo was really mad after the Dragon army beat the Salamander army. Ender seemed to be an all around better soldier than him and Bonzo didn't want to accept it. While Ender was in the Salamander army he didn't get to do anything and Bonzo treated him badly but despite that Ender was on the top of the ranks. Ender also offended his honor by saying that his father would be proud of him for beating up someone at such a disadvantage To get back at Ender for beating his army Bonzo got in a fight with Ender, hoping to kill him. As we learn later Ender actually ends up killing Bonzo.
2. When Ender lived on Earth Stilson was the boy that bullied him. After he got his monitor off Stilson tried to make fun of him. Like the situation with Bonzo it came down to fighting. Ender beat Stilson up and killed him. I think that Ender was thinking of him because Ender had to fight with Bonzo just like he had to fight with Stilson.
3. Ender thinks that the teachers need him and they won't let anything bad happen. On page 206 Ender thought "They'll [the teachers] push me as hard as they can in a game, but outside the game they'll keep me safe." Ender expects the teachers to help him because they need him to defeat the buggers but Graff says that it will make him stronger to have to deal with bullies. After his fight with Bonzo Ender knew the the teachers would never help him. Ender was wrong for expecting help.
4. When I read about the fights I didn't think that Bonzo or Stilson were dead. It really surprised when I learned that. At the end of the chapter you read people talking about the deaths and saying that Ender is scary. When the fight between Ender and Bonzo was done the book said that "Bonzo collapsed, fell to the side, and sprawled directly under a spay of steaming water from the shower." Think back on it it makes sense that they are dead.
5. Yes he was justified, they picked on him first. I think that that could have been avoided if the teachers stepped in. Major Anderson wanted to help Ender but Graff told him not to. I think that they didn't tell Ender about the deaths because he would be depressed and would think of himself as a killer. After Ender killed killed all the Buggers he was really sad because he didn't mean to kill all the buggers. If Ender had found out he killed them he wouldn't want to help defeat the buggers.
Chapter 13 – Valentine
1.I think that this quote means that if you pretend to be someone or something long enough you start to act and think like that person. In the book Valentine pretended to be Demosthenes and after a while she started to think like Demosthenes. This also happened to Ender when he became commander, he started acting more tough and more in charge. I think that this happens not only in the book but in real life, for example, if I were to talk in a British accent for a long time it would be hard for me to stop talking like that because I became the person I was pretending to be.
2. Yes and no, it could be helpful to have an instinct that told you to kill. However in most cases an instinct to kill could just lead to more trouble in death. In the End of the book Ender's instinct told him to destroy the bugger planet. That had some "good" effects and some bad effects. In the book the battles at Battle school were survival of the fittest. Whichever army was the most trained and ready won but in the end the battles didn't really matter, they were just a game to keep the kids busy.
3. Ender and Valentine discuss what the Battle School really is. He tells Valentine that the whole thing is just a game and they are the puppets on the string. Ender says that he finally understands the buggers but he hates them and he loves them. I think that Ender is fed up with the games that they he has been playing and he has conflicting thoughts telling him to help mankind or do what is morally right.
4. At the beginning of the book Peter was murderous and Ender was innocent and helpless. As I read further Ender became more violent and Peter mellowed down, taking the role of Locke, his complete opposite. On page 236 Ender tells how he thinks that he is now the person who has power. Valentine was helping Peter with his plan to control the world and she didn't get to see Ender as much. Valentine was backing Peter up like she used to do for Ender. Valentine still loves Ender and wants the best for him. I think that Valentine is mad at herself for going along with Peter's plan.
5.I think that the outcome would not have been the same. The Buggers had to understand the humans as the humans had to understand the Buggers. The Bugger war helped Ender and the Bugger cocoon communicate. I think that Ender will help start a new race of Buggers. On the other hand the war had a lot of damage and they might have found a way to understand each other. I think that the war could have been stopped but the outcomes worked out for the humans but not the Buggers.
Chapter 14 – Ender’s Teacher
1. Ender hated the way that the the tunnel floors sloped downwards. It gave him a feeling of falling. Another think that Ender didn't like about Eros was the way that the rooms seemed to be ill-proportioned, with the ceilings to low for the width and the tunnels too narrow. He was also disturbed by the amount of people, especially stranger, there were. He found out they were Bugger hives when Mazer was teaching Ender about the Buggers. It made a lot of sense because it never felt like a human place.
2.In the past all the teachers didn't teach Ender as much as learn from him. Graff, himself said that Ender was smarter than he would ever be. Mazer tought Ender things that he didn't know. For example Mazer taught Ender about how the Buggers lived. Mazer gave Ender the Challenge that Ender needed to continue his "studies." On page 264 Mazer says "One is never too old to be a student of the enemy. I have learned from the buggers. You will learn from me." This shows that Ender will learn what Mazer has learned from the Buggers.
3. Why had Mazer been dishonest with Ender? Do you think Ender could have
handled the truth?
I think that Mazer lies to Ender because it doesn't put as much pressure on him. Mazer has to be dishonest because Ender will have fun (kinda) working with his friends. Also if he doesn't know he may be more willing to do extreme but necessary things like he did when he blew up the Bugger planet. I don't think that Ender could have handled the truth. He would feel a lot of pressure and he wouldn't want to kill all the Buggers. When the war ended Ender was sad and depressed that he had killed all those buggers.
4. Yes they did push the children too far. Ender pushed Petra so far that she was too tired to be used in the battles. While Ender was doing the battles he didn't get any sleep and he was always tired. After a long time of working himself too much he got sick. In the end it was worth it and the children did get better but I think that the Bugger war left some physiological effect on the kids.
5. I don't think that the genocide of the Buggers is justified. The buggers were their own race and they had acquired customs. The golden rule is to treat others how you want to be treated. I am sure that the human race would not like to be annihilated. I think that the genocide of the buggers was in fact inevitable. It may not have happened then but some time the buggers and the human race would be annihilated.
Chapter 15 – Speaker for the Dead
1. I think that Ender would agree with this statement. He was given the roll of the hero that would save the human race and he did his best. He learned about the buggers and lead the humans to victory. Ender didn't really have control over his life, he played along with Graff's games. Graff cared for Ender and forced him to play and do his best at that role.
2. Ender had done a lot of bad things in his life. For example he killed the buggers, hurt the boys at Battle School, Killing Bonzo and Stilson. I think that Ender thought that one more crime added on to his many other didn't make much of a difference. I think that Ender didn't feel as bad about Stilson and Bonzo's death because they deserved it whereas the buggers didn't do anything to Ender.
3. Valentine new that if Ender went back to earth Peter would take that opportunity to reveal himself making him be even more powerful. Valentine was trying to help Ender live a better life. If Ender came back to earth Peter would control the world even more. By not being able to go back to earth Ender had the opportunity to start another life. He is able to undo his wrongs. In the end it was really for his own good that Valentine made it that Ender couldn't return to earth.
4. The thing that is ironic about Peter saving million of lives is that in the beginning of the book Peter murdered animals and he hurt Ender. After being mean the tables had turned and he was now saving people's life. I think that Peter had other reason for making the Locke treaty nonetheless he did end the war on Earth.
5. After Ender found the cocoon of the new hive queen Ender learned the story about the buggers and he also learned that the hive queen had forgiven Ender. Ender learned all this information by talking reading the bugger's mind, he thought "...How can I see these things, like memories in my own mind."
6. Ender uses the pseudonym "Speaker for the Dead" because when he found the hive queen cocoon he learned about the dead race. After telling people the bugger's story Ender was kind of like the speaker of the dead buggers. His book is the story about the history of the buggers. I think that he wants to be known for his memory of life rather than death.
No comments:
Post a Comment