Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ender's Game Questions Chapters 9-11


Chapter 9 – Locke and Demosthenes
1.I think that Peter and Valentine have a battle of morals. From the beginning Peter has always been murderous and Valentine is a sweet girl who tries to help others. I think that Valentine is trying not to become like Peter. With their new arrangement of Lock and Demosthenes Valentine must work with Peter. I think that Valentine feels bad for helping Peter control the others. I think that Peter is manipulating Valentine by making her write things but she has to write specific ideas that are the total opposite of her views. I think in a way Locke and Demosthenes are playing good cop, cop on the internet.
2.  In the book Locke is thought to be the more liberal of the two. The philosopher Locke was said to be the father of Classical Liberalism. Locke was the first person to define himself through continuity of consciousness. In the book Demosthenes takes a more violent and immediate stand. She thinks that the Americans should break the Warsaw Pact. The real Demosthenes was a Greek statesmen. He idolized his city and fought to preserve its freedom. He played a big part in his city rebellion. I think that this makes sense because Valentine is urging her followers to start an uprising.
3. Ender was angry because Graff and the other teachers used Valentine to make him feel better. They used the only good memory he had and made her say stuff. I think that Ender is angry because he feels that the battle school and the teachers are controlling him and his life. At first he was angry that he was like Peter but know he is angry that he is so dependent on the battle school, it is the only thing he knows as home.
Chapter 10 – Dragon
1.In book Ender is a stern leader but he is also understanding. He expects his soldiers to be in the best condition but he also feels empathy for Bean because the same thing happened to him. In the end Ender is a really good leader, his soldiers follow him without loathing him. Ender leaves leniency to the toon leaders. I think hat he is that kind of leader because of his experience with other commanders. I think that he was combining all the good qualities of his previous commanders.
2.  Ender pointed out what a good soldier Bean was. He made it so that the other boys in their army was jealous of him. Ender did the same thing that Graff did to Ender. I think that the reason Ender made Bean out to be such a good soldier is so that all the other boys will watch him and he can earn their respect. Plus all the things that Ender said about Bean were true. Ender put a lot of pressure on Bean and he had to live up to it.
3. What does the word Salaam mean?  What could this tell you about the power of religious identity?
In chapter 10 we learned what the word Salaam means. Alai said that Salaam means "peace." I think that this tells you that you can express things with your religion. Alai feels an  identity with the word Salaam and he feels that he can use it to show what he feels. I think that your religious identity has the power to break laws and bring people together.
4.In the End of chapter 10 Ender realizes his and Alai's friendship has a wall.. At the end he was also given a new army full of new soldiers.Major Anderson said that he wasn't allowed to practice with Shen and Alai. I think that Ender's reaction to all this change is what the teachers wanted. Graff wanted Ender for feel isolated and alone, making it so that he can't practice with his friends achieved that goal. Also he took on teaching his soldiers which is what the teachers wanted.

Chapter 11 – Veni Vidi Vici
1.I don't think that the computer doesn't actually know Ender but instead the computer learns how he thinks and his fears from the way that Ender plays the game. The more I think about it the more I come to believe that the computer does not know exactly what Ender is thinking. I think that the computer learns already known facts about his fighting skills and his family to see how he deals with different situations.
2. What Ender means by this is that he can't lose a game because it will make him seem weak. If he seems weak the other boys will try to hurt him. I think that in a way Ender is scared of what will happen if he loses a game. In the context Ender is asking Bean to help him find a way not to loses the battles. I feel really bad for Ender, it is a lot of pressure to have to win every game. With idea of being beaten up right around the corner Ender is doing his best to make himself seem tough and to avoid the inevitable fight.
3. The teachers want Ender to reach his full potential. The buggers are also coming and they need Ender to be prepared. I think that Graff wants to be the one that pushed Ender to become the best. On the other hand too much pushing could lead Ender to become tired and not want to fight anymore. In a way it is already happening. Ender sees the way that the teachers are making the games unbalanced. I think that pushing is good for the human race in the long run but Ender doesn't get to have a childhood or any long term friends.
4.The last two sentences of the chapter talk about how Bean thought of lots of ideas a that were all stupid. Ender had told him to think of the craziest, stupidest ideas that could help the dragon army win the next battles. Beans says that Ender would be proud of him, I think that this shows that Bean is ready to help and looks up to Ender. Ender thinks that most stupid ideas have to potential to become great ideas. Ender chose Bean to come up with these ideas because he is the youngest and the brightest of the boys in the army.
5.Yes this is an appropriate title for this chapter. In chapter 11 Ender's army becomes really good, they learn new skills and watch what others do and then they conquered the battle rooms. They win every game, the whole chapter is about how the Dragon army beat all the other armies and got around the obstacles the teachers but in the game. This title shows exactly what happens in chapter 11.



1 comment: