In the article on The Hollywood Reporter I learned about Orson Scott Card's, Author of Ender's Game, Opinion on gay marriage. Card wrote Ender's game which is a futuristic science fiction novel where the human race has to go to war with an alien race. In the article Card says that "homosexuality is a 'reproductive dysfunction' born of choice." People may be hesitant to support his works because of his opinion. With the Ender's Game movie coming out next November, the movie company wants to separate themselves from Card's opinion. They say that Card's opinion doesn't reflect in the book or the movie.I think that this is an interesting dilemma, His book is really good but buying it means that you are supporting his views. Everyone is open to their opinion but nonetheless, people will judge him and his book. This article doesn't effect my thoughts on the book but it does make wary as to whether or not I want buy the next book. Personally I think that we shouldn't judge Card's book and Card himself together. His work of art stands alone as a great book.
I don't think that Mr. Vack should take Ender's game off the curriculum. I think that reading this book opens the door for students to discuss if the author really is connected directly with the book. I think that Mr. Vack could do responses in the future and keep learning from this article. I think that the movie company doesn't want Card's view on gay marriage to effect the way people see the movie. The movie company feels that Card would say something to upset the fans of the book and the movie if he is put in the limelight too much. I think that the company is right to feel this way. Although I don't attach Card to Ender's Game other may and that could make him and his book less popular.
No comments:
Post a Comment