Tuesday, February 12, 2013

CEJ 4

Greta Bishop
02/12/13
Quilting Class Gives People Hope
The Times Standard
02/10/2013
Local
http://www.times-standard.com/lifestyle/ci_22560164/quilting-class-gives-people-hope

In the Hope Center is colorful quilts that show the adversities and achievements of men and women with mental health problems. “These quilts tell stories and provide the people who've made them a creative means to express themselves,” said Oceana Madrone, a long time quilter and Department of Health and Human Services health education specialist. Madrone facilitates the quilting classes held on Wednesdays at the Hope Center. The quilting classes are a peer run classes for people with a mental health problem. Other regular activities include gardening, painting, beading, social gatherings, field trips and peer advocacy groups. The Hope Center is supported by DHHS Mental Health with funding from the Mental Health Services Act. Materials for the quilts are donated from community members.”These are based on the Wellness Recovery Action Program, known as WRAP, which is used worldwide by people dealing with mental health challenges who want to attain the highest possible level of wellness,” said Kellie Jack, a peer specialist at the Hope Center. “These are small quilts, so when they are done making them, they can literally wrap themselves up in the quilts and take them home.” The quilts include inspirational words and pictures that have meaning to the people that made them. Madrone said the the quilts are good conversation started. The DHHS Mental Health also offers a Healthy Moms quilting program every tuesday, helping mothers deal with alcohol and other addictions.

I think that to the community this means that they are willing to help people with mental health problems. I think that this means that people with mental health problems will have a creative way to let out their feelings. It also lets the people learn things be using math and other skills to make the quilts. I don’t think that this article has any bias. I think that this program, class thing is a really good idea and that it is a really good idea. I think that in tough times having a creative way to express your feelings is really good and this helps the people stay mentally stable. This could be the way that someone learns that they are a really good quilter. For example people in the past with problems like loss of sight have turned out to be great artist. I think that this program will keep going for a long time. Another thing that I think is really funny is that Oceana Madrone is Madison's grandma. So local news relates to someone in our class.

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to see people we know doing great things in our community.

    ReplyDelete